Developing a Writing Schedule

It's difficult to write a novel or short stories when you have other obligations like school or work (or both). The key is treating your writing like it's a job, because it is. I'd love to be able to make a living off of being a full-time novelist, but in order to do that I have to write the novel first. And in order to write the novel, I need to set aside a specific time every day to work on it. Every weekday morning from 8:00 to 9:00, I sit down at my desk and do something that is directly related to the novel I'm working on. Usually it's writing, but since this novel is set during the Holocaust, I'm currently doing research. The point is, I've started treating my writing like a part-time job. I do it every day at a set time, even if I don't feel like it. If you have a real part-time job, you also have to go whether you want to or not. If you don't, you won't have a job anymore and you certainly won't get paid. And since I want to make a living off my writing someday, I write from 8 to 9 every morning. Eventually I will become a full-time writer. Until then, I take my job as a part-time writer very seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment