To Kindle or Not to Kindle

My cousin got a Kindle for Christmas. Now, I'm desperately in love with print books: the feel, the smell, the ability to flip back and forth easily between pages. I rarely read anything online other than articles, blogs, and websites. I even write my stories and novels longhand on lined paper. I have rather indignantly resisted the ebook trend and scoffed and sneered when the Kindle first came out. Call me a closet Luddite - one who likes to use technology in connection with everything but fiction itself. I love blogging and reading blogs. I love my Google Reader which delivers everything to me on a single page the instant it appears on the net. I  love cute YouTube videos of kittens, especially when I'm trying to avoid homework.

My dislike of the Kindle and the concept of ebooks in general doesn't just have to do with a snobbish love of the printed word (although like I said, it's really handy when you can flip back and forth quickly). I have notoriously bad luck when it comes to writing and technology. My laptop is a piece of crap, and that's putting it nicely. It freezes on me all the time, and sometimes it won't unfreeze. It and other computers I've written on have had a tendency to crash and erase a lot of what I've already written. This has happened often enough that I started obsessively saving the document every thirty seconds or so. Flash drives are great - except they're small enough that I'm constantly worried that I'll forget mine somewhere.

So what does that tangent have to do with ebooks? Basically, given my luck I'm worried that I would pay money for ebooks and then at some point down the line my Kindle or whatever would go bonkers and I'd have wasted all that money. And given my book addiction, it would be a lot of money.

But that doesn't mean I think ebooks are a bad idea generally. Just a bad idea for me to be owning. If, God willing, I should someday get published, I'd like to sell my books in ebook format as well, because they sell very well that way (so long as they aren't overpriced). And the Kindle does have one big advantage that just might persuade me to get one eventually: my cousin tells me that you can buy out-of-copyright classics, such as the entire collected works of Robert Louis Stevenson, for just $0.99. That, and the Kindle looks very much like a pretty, pretty piece of blank white paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment