The Prince of Persia and Plot

Recently I went to go see The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time at the dollar theater (which costs two dollars, so why do we still call it the dollar theater?). I loved it. I'm sorry that it didn't do very well during its regular run, but I can see why.

The biggest problem was the plot. It was fine until the introduction of the Hassansins (assassins - get it?) who are Islamic mystics who also happen to be mythical death-delivering ninjas. In theory this is a seriously awesome idea. After all, there is no such thing as too many ninjas. The problem is, they don't appear until about two thirds of the way through the movie, and we haven't heard a peep about them before then. Not even a mention that they exist. A halfhearted attempt is made a little bit later when Dastan (Jake Gyllenhal) tells one of his brothers about the Hassansins, and his brother scoffs that they're just stories from childhood tales. How hard would it have been to drop a few lines earlier in the movie about these childhood tales about Hassansins? If this movie were a book, and I were an editor, I'd tell the author that he had to mention the whirling-dervish-ninjas before surprising the reader with them over halfway through.

Also: papyrus font? Really? Did they hire a high schooler to pick the font? It just looked really amateur in comparison to the rest of the film.

Overall, though, I found the movie really enjoyable, and I'm definitely going to buy it. It's a fun, slightly silly fantasy/action movie that doesn't take itself seriously. And it's a real relief to be able to watch fluff that unashamedly calls itself fluff.

1 comment:

  1. I loved that movie! The plot was a little akward but I'm not sure that had so much to do with why it didn't do so well. There are a lot of hit movies with rambling, nondistinct plots.

    ReplyDelete