Writers, Gossip, and Eavesdropping

The Eavesdropper by Eugen von Blaas
I have a guilty pleasure. It's eavesdropping. I don't mean sneaking around like Nancy Drew, listening at keyholes. I mean listening to the conversations of people around me in classrooms, on sidewalks, in restaurants, and so forth. I don't gossip, but I love to hear it.

You never know when you might overhear a great idea for a story. I did a couple weeks ago. I probably won't write it for a while, but for now I can turn it over in my mind and savor and develop it.

Even if you don't get story ideas, eavesdropping is a great way to learn dialogue. Just go to a public place like a mall or university, sit down, and listen to the way people talk. The only way to write realistic dialogue is to hear it.

***

Sorry about the length between posts, by the way. I have a lot of writing to do since I'm a writing major and this is my last semester. I can't promise regular posts until after I graduate in December, unfortunately. But I will try my best until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment