Elizabeth Taylor's Love Letters Up for Auction

Taylor as a young actress
Elizabeth Taylor's love letters to her first fiance are up for auction. Taylor was a seventeen-year-old starlet at the time and her fiance was the 22-year-old son of an ambassador. They never married. Here's an excerpt from the Yahoo article:

The unpublished letters -- some written in purple fountain ink on pink paper -- provide a glimpse of a teenager's transition to adult screen star.

She frets about her weight ("As I'm sitting here -- writing to you, I'm just stuffing myself on a box of candy -- honestly I've got to stop eating so much") and passing her high school exams. And she contrasts two movies she was filming at the time, "A Place in the Sun" and "The Big Hangover," praising the director of the former and complaining about her role in the latter.

But mostly, she gushes about Pawley, the 22-year-old son of a former ambassador to Brazil, reassuring him over and over that her love is true.

"My heart aches & makes me want to cry when I think of you, and how much I want to be with and to look into your beautiful blue eyes, and kiss your sweet lips and have your strong arms hold me, oh so tight, & close to you ... I want us to be 'lovers' always ... even after we've been married seventy-five years and have at least a dozen great-great-grandchildren," she wrote on March 28.

Thank God there's no such thing as time travel. This seventeen-year-old would have been devastated to find out how her romantic life turned out. It just breaks your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment