I've already failed my writing resolution to blog every week. Oh well, at least it was in the pursuit of accomplishing another resolution, to finish my novel this year. I have 130 pages so far!
I've also been making an effort to read more. I have a ton of unread historical novels, so I've selected six that I intend to read this year. Here they are, in no particular order:
- Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. There was a time when probably 95% of the books on my shelf were fantasy. (I blame J.K. Rowling.) Kay is known for fusing fantasy and historical fiction, so I think this is a good way for me to get back into the genre.
- Hadassah: One Night with the King by Tommy Tenney. I've been burned by Biblical fiction in the past, and this one has received mixed reviews, but I love the movie, so why not give it a try.
- Daughters of Rome by Kate Quinn. This is the prequel to Mistress of Rome, which I've already read and reviewed. So far I'm enjoying it, though I do prefer Mistress.
- Daughters of the Nile by Stephanie Dray. This is the third and final book in Dray's series about Cleopatra Selene, the daughter of Cleopatra the Great. I own the first two and I'm looking forward to this one!
- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. I started this one once and didn't finish, but I can't remember why. I'm a sucker for love stories where the sweethearts are separated, only to reunite decades later.
- Empress of the Seven Hills by Kate Quinn. This is the sequel to Mistress of Rome. I'm looking forward to reading the story of Thea and Arius' son, Vix.
In addition, I'm excited for the release of Stephanie Thornton's Daughter of the Gods in May. What are some of the books you're planning to read in 2014?