Ten Things to Do While Waiting to Start Your Second Draft

(image source)


Well, I finally did it. I finished the first draft of my novel. I've set it aside and won't look at it again for a month, so I can get some distance and be a better editor. This is turning out to be much more difficult than I thought. Here are ten things you can do to distract yourself while waiting to get started on your second draft:

  1. Read or reread a book about writing, like Stephen King's On Writing or Ann Lamott's Bird by Bird.
  2. Curl up with a good novel or three.
  3. Finish knitting that shawl for your husband's grandmother. (Seriously, why haven't you finished that already?)
  4. Learn how to cook gourmet meals. Or just learn how to cook.
  5. Draft a research plan or schedule for your next novel.
  6. Go outside. Be surprised by how bright sunlight is.
  7. Deep clean your house. (Yeah, right.)
  8. Hang out with friends. They may have forgotten what you look like by now.
  9. Visit your town's new used book store.
  10. Search for writers' groups in your area.

What are some things you do to distract yourself while waiting to edit your work?

No comments:

Post a Comment