Well, I finally did it. I finished the first draft of my novel. I've set it aside and won't look at it again for a month, so I can get some distance and be a better editor. This is turning out to be much more difficult than I thought. Here are ten things you can do to distract yourself while waiting to get started on your second draft:
- Read or reread a book about writing, like Stephen King's On Writing or Ann Lamott's Bird by Bird.
- Curl up with a good novel or three.
- Finish knitting that shawl for your husband's grandmother. (Seriously, why haven't you finished that already?)
- Learn how to cook gourmet meals. Or just learn how to cook.
- Draft a research plan or schedule for your next novel.
- Go outside. Be surprised by how bright sunlight is.
- Deep clean your house. (Yeah, right.)
- Hang out with friends. They may have forgotten what you look like by now.
- Visit your town's new used book store.
- Search for writers' groups in your area.
What are some things you do to distract yourself while waiting to edit your work?